Thursday, November 11, 2010

Reflections on mini-event

My "mini-event" for facilitating on-line was held on Wednesday 10 November. I think it went OK as an event and very well in terms of listener engagement, mostly due to the excellent presenter Nicola Bould.

Nicola talked about the impact on the planet and people of all the social networking going on in the world today. Her message was one about being aware rather than ceasing all activity. How much coal gets burned to upload a photo into Facebook? What does Google plan to do about powering and cooling all the servers it needs? All this is on the Elluminate recording whose link is on the previous post.

I prepared a bit for this presentation and Nicola and I went over our roles that morning. I've been winging lessons all my life in a face to face situation but I know that where a lot of technology sits between you and your audience you have to make sure everything works and have a plan B for any eventuality.

Two issues were identified that I would have to work on for the next event. One was advertising which was minimal in my case so we had only a small audience. I've got to find out how to advertise more widely.

The second was the lack of instruction I gave to the audience about how to raise your hand and perform the small feedback actions. Assumptions lead to some pauses that might be evident in the recording.

I thought Nicola was excellent in the way she responded to the typed ad-hoc comments. This made the sessions more interactive.

Summing up: a great topic, a great presenter and an average facilitator.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Peter, I'm sorry I couldn't make your session, but will listen to the recording in the next day or two. Meanwhile I thought you might be interested in this news from Facebook about their latest green efforts: http://www.greenbiz.com/blog/2010/11/04/facebooks-latest-green-efforts-focus-industry-individuals

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peter, I've put a few thoughts for you on a previous post so won't repeat them here. But what I would like to ask you is...how do you think you'll advertise more widely if you ever had to facilitate an event like this?

    Thanks for an excellent session...I really enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete